Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Why? ~


Recently I read a great article in Farm and Dairy – “Emotion Trumps Science Everytime~ Farmers need to start with Why” by Susan Crowell
I applaud Susan for such a tremendous message!  I too have always been one to think this.  I believe science is a great resource at our fingertips and we need science for facts and figures to support the things we believe in.  However I also think that when we are out AGvocating that the why we do it seems to always hit it out of the ball park.  This inspired me so much that I decided to write about it and I continued to share my thoughts about it on my personal blogs and others sites I blog for.  It keeps coming back to me and I feel the need to now share with all of you.

Why do I do what I do? Why do I ranch? Why do I AGvocate?  Why do I contribute to this magazine? Why do I blog for so many different agriculture outlets? Probably many of the same reasons many of you  do what you do.



For me it is really quite simple~

  • I am steeped in the heritage of my family roots
  • I love waking up on the weekend and going with my dad to check cows about to calve
  • I love taking my niece- Baby Paige- with me on my four wheeler to feed at night
  • I love fixing fence and water troughs – well maybe not love but it gives me the opportunity to be out with the cows and that is what I love.
  • I love my ag family
  • I love the smell of sweet hay
  • I love the smell of cows – really I do!
  • I love watching my dad each spring prepare to plant his vegetable garden, order his seeds, start them in little trays and then take them out to grow his own little personal crop
  • I love seeing my mom prepare her menus each year as she takes food to us during branding time!
  • I love the industry I have grown up in and feel it is my obligation as a fellow farmer/rancher to share my story with all who I can engage in conversation.
  • I love caring for the animals, taking care of the little ones when maybe they cant get it done on their own
  • I love warm baby calves on the floor of my truck on cold nights
  • I love baby sheep bleating in a big box on the floor of my living room by the pot belly stove waiting for me to feed them
  • I love waking up on a farm when the sun is shining and there is a crisp dew on the ground and I take it all in and appreciate the beauty of it all
  • I love going to bull sales with my dad
  • I love meeting fellow agriculture enthusiasts from literally around the entire USA
  • I love all the cows lined up on the “cow trail” walking to the water trough in a perfect line like they are on a mission
  • I love feeding hay on the back of the flatbed as my brother drives and taking time between fields to sit on the hay and admire the beauty of it all
  • I love to eat – too much at times – and because of farmers I am able too!
  • I love watching my young friends take so much pride in exhibiting at the county fair and me being on the sidelines cheering them on.
  • I love cowboy boots – I have all sorts!
  • I love car hart jackets and gloves and ball cap kinda days
  • I love the heritage of 4-H and FFA and what it all means
  • I love my county fair and my fair family that continues on now into adult hood.
  • I love my dear farm and ranch friends for helping me become my best self.
  • I love it cause it feels good to share my love of all of YOU , my farm and ranch friends.

I love it because I do not know anything else this is who I am, who I have become and who I will continue to be.  I am dedicated to the industry I love and to each of my fellow farmers and ranchers.  For I owe it to them to share my story, I owe it to them to show them it can be done, hopefully empowering them to tell theirs and do the same. 
It’s all quite simple – when someone asks me why you farm/ranch. Why do you do what you do? Why do write about your thoughts and experiences?
My answer – because I LOVE it and I can’t imagine doing anything else.
That’s why! 

I LOVE what I do and for that I am THANKFUL ~ Thankful for all of YOU who have made an impression on who I am , who have taught me , helped me , been my friend!

~~~~~~~~Wishing all of my blog readers a Blessed Thanksgiving Holiday~~~~~~~~




3 comments:

  1. Very well said! Wishing you a very Happy Thanksgiving Holiday as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Katlyn ~ Thank you so very much ! Always love hearing from those who read the blog ! Happy Thanksgiving !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, put! I have recently started a blog and recently discovered yours (so glad!) and I may ask you to be a contributor sometime (if you'd be interested). I feel every item on your list!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete